When we de-cluttered our 1400 sf home we looked very much like a minimalist. We had cabinets and storage that was empty. Then we bought and moved into a house that was 980 sf with no storage. We had to come up with solutions where we were able to store our much needed things but we wanted to keep a calming but warm welcoming look for our home without the stress of walking over things.
- Using baskets and wooden boxes for decor so everyday items can be in a convenient location without having the displayed on top of furniture’s . This days the variety of the baskets are amazing and even if you go to secondhand store you are able to find some beautiful one on a very budget friendly price.
- To avoid the need of extra furniture ( if you have small space you know every inch counts:)) place selves high up out of the eye level. You still able to keep your clean walls (that will help you to make it look your home bigger) but you will gain a tons of space to put things up there. You can even go farther with having paper boxes that has the same color like your wall it will bland in and it will give you and even more clean look.
- If you are about to remodel your kitchen or change your cabinets and you are at the fence what to choose I share my experience with it. I don’t know how I existed without drawers! In the cabinets I needed to go on my knees to get things out from the back of the cabinet if I remembered at all what was in the deeper part of the shelve. When we switched to drawers it amazed me how much time I saved in my everyday life (I cook every day from scratch) After I had my drawers I had to rethink how to organize it because now I had to organize them in vertically so it’s easy to locate things and nothing is hidden or buried. Again my jars saved me. Perfect solution to have a narrow tall storage, so no space (top part of the drawer space) will be wasted and since it’s glass I get to see what’s in it. I turn them up site down so it seals the top better and everything stays fresher in the jar and another practical side of it I don’t have to label what’s in there because the bottom part had a thicker glass and it works like a magnifying glass so I can easily see what’s in there..
- Have hooks for extra storage. When you have a small home lot’s of random items need a place to live and the easier to put things away the more likely we will do it. Having some cute canvas bags will add extra storage space for little items like swimming gear and you can just grab it when you wanna go to swim. Another can hold sunglasses by the door or if you really need space to add to your closet socks can go in there or if you have kids endless possibility for toys.
- Utilizing your closet. Most closet have one self with a rod underneath and dressers are holding shirts, underwear, pajamas etc . We didn’t have that much space in our bedroom, so we utilized it with a wall to wall shelf in the closet. Kind of creating an old fashioned wardrobe cabinet. I got come cute wooden boxes to create an easier sorting system and we had gained so much space that way.
- Having furniture with storage. We bought a couch that can be expended into a sleeping bed for two person. Top of that we created a room for overnight guests. We have a giant storage space under the sofa. That would be a such of wasted space, now I can store big bulky items there that would be really hard to find a space for.
Here’s a video on it where I explain and I show you in details on this tips how we implemented them.